Friday, September 24, 2010

All settled in...



Oh just my backyard... :) Great Rift Valley
Wednesday I was EXHAUSTED, but after a nap I went and said hello to the people at the hospital, checked out the little market by where I am living, and went exploring. The people are all so nice. On my way home I saw about 10 of the most adorable little kids playing outside who all started waving at me, of course I had to go play with them. I guess they were all fascinated with my whiteness because they all wanted to touch me.


My little friend
Yesterday was my first experience in the hospital. The OR is called "Theater" (sp?) which is kind of entertaining. And yesterday we had 9 surgeries! Nothing too exciting -- the only one I got to do most of was the skin graft which I'm an expert at by now from Shriners. Theater is much more modern than I had anticipated, actually the whole hospital is more than I anticipated...more to come on that once I get more accustomed. Oh and mdazis are the greatest thing EVER -- they kind of remind me of Sopapillas. I guess they are Kenyan donuts, but I got one free here with some tea in the gorgeous doctors lounge overlooking the valley. 

Kijabe Hospital
Last night one of the missionaries had me over for dinner. She is from Boston and is an internal medicine resident working here in the ICU. She has an adorable little 15 month old boy that her and her husband adopted from Rowanda. We had some delicious food that the lady who watches her child and cleans her house made for us - oh, and an amazing fire since it is a little chilly here at night. She is taking me tomorrow for delicious blueberry pancakes at the Rift Valley Academy which is apparently a pretty fantastic school where all the African missionaries send their children. We are going to church there on Sunday too. 

Village/Masai Market
As it turns out, my surgery team is off on Fridays and on the weekends -- and so far I am not on the September call schedule so I have the whole weekend off for Samantha time. Today I went with my roomies to the Masai Market in Nairobi. I am fantastic bargainer if I do say so myself. My best bargain was probably a souvenir that the man said was 2800 shillings (approx $35), and I ended up getting it for 400 shillings (approx $5)! 

guess it's time for a nap... and maybe a jog. 
My roomies Esther and Dayna


No comments:

Post a Comment