Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Finally made it to Kijabe!

The Serpentine
Hyde Park
Underground at Regent's Park
Big Ben


Another pic at the Serpentine
AIC Kijabe Hospital


My Home
I'm here...and soooo jet lagged! Spent 8 hours in London killing time. The first site I saw when I stepped off the tube was H&M which was basically heaven before me (girls should understand). I was going to go to the zoo which when I arrived I found out was approximately $45! So, since I'm planning to go on a safari in Kenya (um...a million times better than the zoo) I took a walk through Hyde Park and sat by the Serpentine sippin' a vanilla latte. My first class flight to London was never so appreciated until my overnight flight from Amsterdam to Nairobi which was MISERABLE. No sleep, neck cramps, small seat, mushy green beans -- and the two people next to me wouldn't stop smoochin'. Arrived in Nairobi at 6:10am (8 hours ahead). First thing I noticed -- it looked like a desert and traffic is BIZARRE. There are no lanes! We almost got in like13 wrecks. I went to a mall, pretty modern place, bought a modem for my internet so I can skype and blog away, a simcard for my phone (which I discovered when I got to Kijabe will only work in Kenyan phones...still haven't solved that problem), groceries, and some flip flops. Arrived just a bit ago at my Kijabe home where i'll be for the next three weeks -- which is only on the edge of a GORGEOUS valley, no big deal. :) I'll try to post some better pictures later. There are three girls here that I am staying with, two are leaving this week. Only one of them is a medical student like me. She is from the UK and was telling me about how much I will love this place. She said her first night on call she was the only 'doctor' in the hospital from 5pm to 8am and in came a gun shot wound among other traumas. If that doesn't make me scared out of my mind I don't know what will. There is always an intern who is second on call in case I need them...which I will. I'm so nervous! On call, by myself, with acute abdomens and heart attacks!! Uh...I really should've brought some reference materials. Okay, i'm off to try to get a hospital orientation, take pictures of the valley, and then catch up on some sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you survived the trip! Sorry that skype isn't working so well but I feel better just having seen your face!! Take care, ttyl! Muah!!

    ReplyDelete