Sunday, October 10, 2010

Happy 10.10.10!

Plaque stating His Excellency Hon. Kibaki opened
the theatre complex on 8 Oct 2010
Well the President came…that was entertaining. Lots of pick pocketers! My favorite doctor wife got her phone stolen! Cutest was probably the little Maasai girls who sang! I didn’t really participate in the festivities as I was occupied for a reason that I cannot specify at this time.

BUT Saturday I sat off on my journey with roomie Letizia and Kenya native Freddy and his girlfriend Clair for NAIROBI. We checked into our ‘top end’ hotel – the Hilton which was….interesting but a place to stay nonetheless. Then we grabbed a taxi and headed to Carnivore. DELICIOUS. They serve lots of crazy game like ostrich, crocodile, and camel. They have a huge fire pit where they cook stuff…see pictures…and then for $25USD you get the ’buffet’ where the chefs walk around with these huge sticks of meat and they just cut you off slices of meat until your tummy is content. HOWEVER, given my lack of an ability to eat $25 worth of meat, my guests and I shared 1 kilo of a variety of meats including ostrich which was really not that much different than any other meat I have tried. It was pretty fun. 


fire pit o' meat at Carnivore
BEEF - it's what's for dinner!

left to right - chicken, pork, beef, ostrich, potatoes
Letizia and I partying with the chefs



Kenyan with his vuvuzela
At night Carnivore turns into a bar, BUT we decided to head back to Nairobi as Kenya was playing Uganda in soccer and the place GETS CRAZY. Kenya lost effectively as it was 0-0, and everyone was extremely disappointed. For some reason there was still a parade which completely took over the road. I kept trying to go see the action and Freddy had to keep advising me against such nonsense as my purse and camera would have been quickly stripped from my body. Good thing they were there to keep me out of trouble!
Celebrating...the loss...?


Today I went to a really cool church service – I think it was Catholic although I still cannot be certain. There was a lot of singing which was way cool, the church was HUMONGOUS. On the outside it looked like a castle. The message was given by a woman from Nigeria, and it was over being thankful to God and sharing our testimonies so that others can see the grace and forgiveness of Christ. She said that the world has become ungrateful and that we have also become careless which shows we are ungrateful. We walk around asking what has the Lord done for me…but we know that he needn’t do anything for me. He has already given me the greatest gift imaginable.

We also had breakfast at this AWFUL native Kenya place. Samantha cannot eat undercooked bacon if she makes it herself so this stuff was completely not edible and the sausage…I could not touch. So, toast was for breakfast until we found this adorable little coffee shop where I had a delicious vanilla latte and a carrot cake muffin. Mmmmm. THEN I took Letizia to the Maasai Market at Yaya Centre and helped her bargain! I ended up buying more souvenirs and gifts which – there is absolutely no way I am going to get it all home…well, not for under the weight limit! My bag here was 48.5lbs, so uh…I think I am in trouble!

the $2 matatu that finally got me home
(they got mad at me for taking a pic of them!)
After shopping we went to the Hilton to lay out by the pool. Now, the deal was that our Kenya native friends were going to take me on my first, and probably only, matatu experience ever. Now, Dr. Keiser instructed me NO MATATUS BUT the Kenyans had me convinced it was okay. So, we call Mr. Freddy from pool side at 4:15pm, and he proceeds to tell us he would like to return to Kijabe tomorrow morning. That didn’t work for me as I have to be into the hospital to round super early. So, he briefly instructed me on how to get a matatu myself and told me the one to Kijabe left at 5pm. I have officially had my first and DEFINITELY last experience with public transportation in Kenya. I don’t know what I was thinking…we see way to many patients in casualty from matatu accidents, but me not being able to justify a 5000ksh (>$60) taxi versus 150ksh ($2) matatu ride…decide to try this matatu thing. After asking approximately 6 people I finally find matatu land and the one to Kijabe. As we start driving I bow my head and pray that the Lord keep us safe. Approximately 3 minutes post prayer I hear a loud BANG which apparently was the tire – so over to the side of the road we go and we all wait for a new matatu to pick us up. The new matutu made these HORRIBLE noises ranging from clown horns to metal on metal to metal on pavement THE WHOLE HOUR DRIVE. Needless to day, the Lord heard several more prayers from me that I would make it home. At one point this small matatu with only 15 seats had 24 passengers and only one was an infant. CRAZY!! BUT ladies and gentleman, I am safe and sound in my home back on the hospital compound. THANK GOD!

Texas and Samantha reunited this week!! YEE HAW!

1 comment:

  1. This food reminds me of Texas de Brazil in DFW (minus the ostrich). Someday I shall take you.

    I'm very glad to see that you made it back alive. I literally laughed out loud while reading this... (of course I knew you survived because you lived to tell the story). :)

    ReplyDelete